Monday, September 28, 2009

Happy Dasara!!!

Today is Dassara, the 10th auspicious day after the 9 days of Navratri. The day when Ram was victorious in the battle against Ravan and killed Ravan version 10.0. Effigies of Ravan are burnt down against the back drop of Ram Leela in many places. The day is marked with different kinds of festivities starting with an early pooja. Even the cars are worshipped and garlanded. Even we did pooja of both our cars this morning before I headed out to work. This day comes I think exactly 20 days before Diwali.

The 9 days of Navratri are filled with people gathering to play the garba and the dandia raas. Originated mainly in Gujrat, this has become a very popular social event and has spread not only across India but also worldwide. I myself not being a big fan of either of those, we decided to skip the event this year, even though I heard that it was very well organized and attracted a huge crowd. I remember going to this huge Durga pooja at the Shivaji Park and gasping as to how fierce but beautiful the huge idol of Durga looked.

Getting back to Flickr, below is the link to my photo stream:
My Photos on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment